A key strategy in supporting ELLs in the classroom is the utilization of visuals. These visuals provide ELLs with pictures and text that can help develop their vocabulary. According to a blog post by Edutopia, utilizing visuals connects with ELA Standards (Common Core Standards):
- Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
- Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.
WordFoto is a great iPad app ($1.99) that lets you turn your photos and words into visuals for your ELLs.
Here is how it works:
1. Take a picture or choose a photo from your photo library.
2. Type in the word(s) of your object.
3. Crop, adjust the font style, and fine-tune your photo with the toolbar. You can save your photo to the Photo Library, and then share it on Facebook or email it to your student.